Who do you think loves you more? Wait. Do you love yourself, or does your dog loves you more?
Let me tell you a story. There was once a dog named Brutus, a 7-year-old golden retriever. One day he and his human went out to catch some fresh breeze. While they were at the park, something horrible happened. Brutus noticed a venomous coral snake approaching a child. Brutus fought with the snake and saved the child. Although severely bit, he survived.
We have heard so many stories like Brutus’s. Though the names and breeds of the dogs might change, its crux remains the same. Dogs put humans before them. A dog is the only thing that will love you more than you love yourself. And if there’s a day to honor the loveable and cutest creatures, it will be Dog Day.
The National Dog day honors these lovely souls. Celebrated on the 26th of August every year, the day focuses on spreading awareness about the number of dogs rescued from breeders and cruel masters.
According to the Human Society of Central Texas, about 3.9 million dogs are rescued nationwide. Approximately 1.2 million dogs are euthanized every year due to the space constraints in shelters. It is sad yet true.
This National dog day, we bring to you a few things that you can do to save dogs nationwide.
- Adopt a dog. If you are planning on buying a dog, don’t. Instead, adopt a dog that needs love.
- If you already have a dog and cannot adopt one, try sponsoring a dog. Many foster parents would love to raise a dog but cannot afford it.
- Co-adopt a stray dog. You can talk to your neighbors and co-adopt a stray dog. That way, the dog will never run out of food and shelter.
- If someone in your family is thinking about buying a dog, convince them to adopt instead.
- Contribute an amount to a shelter every month.
- Educate your family and friends about spaying.
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter.
- Set up a donation drive for dogs in your workplace.
- Set up an adoption camp where people can come and adopt dogs.
- Offer your vehicle to rescue pets.
Dogs are pure beings who spread love irrespective of their color, breed, or size. Let’s shower them with the unlimited love they deserve on this National Dog Day.